Friday, February 22, 2013

Not as expected

Today I had planned to meet Ulla, my Swedish colleague, at the Sarasota airport at 5:30. But there was an email waiting in my inbox informing me that she had not made her connection in Manchester, England, and would be arriving at the same time tomorrow. 24 hours in Manchester??? What's there to do?  Maybe she can watch a Manchester United football (soccer) game? <insert Google search here> ... Oh, they don't play again till tomorrow. So much for that idea! I eagerly await her arrival and the tales of her adventures.

In the interim I put together a data visualization for my plastic bottle cap project.  This is by means of providing some background, rather than being considered as a fantastic "found object sculpture." It's the number of bottles of water consumed in the US from 1977 to 2007 by 5 year intervals.  Each cap represents a billion bottles.

The exponential growth seems to have stalled. During the 2008-2010 recession the consumption of bottled batter fell, but it is now inching upward again - 2011 was comparable to 2007. (These stats are represented by the blue caps at the right top.)  Numbers for 2012 haven't been released yet - but judging by the quantity of water bottles in the condo dumpster, plenty is still being drunk.

I have three more installations planned ... I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment