Today Jack and I went to the field -- New York City -- for a full day of intensive research. Our main objective was a secondary archelogical study -- the Pompeii exhibition at the Discovery Center near Times Square. Our research question, "What's there to see at Pompeii?" was prompted by a planned visit to Naples next month for the CM-7 conference. The answer to our question -- "lots!" The exhibit was quite small, but well-curated (the audio guide featured three archelopgists with different specialities) with videos and an experiential presentation of the erruption of Mount Vesuvius in 72AD before a room with many plaster casts made through the ash of people as they were when they died. These were something I've always wanted to see. Do I still need to go to Naples?


Three smaller research projects yielded good findings, though these required locating the data sources both uptown and down. Up 5th Avenue to the Apple store for a replacement iPad-to-laptop cable, and over to 7th and 43rd to the Sony store for a new chip for my camera that will mesh with the iPad, then down to 33 Street to B&H for two pairs of expensive binolculars for our upcoming zoological research in Botswana.

Finally, returning to Grand Central for the train ride back to Connecticut, I was able to locate an "outlier" for my Russian beverage research. A fitting end to our fieldwork!
Sorry I got rather carried away with the research metaphor -- it won't last!
No comments:
Post a Comment