Yesterday morning, the Wall Street Journal newspaper fell open to a half-page photo of Wunderbar Springerle cookies -- "Ahha!" I thought, "A worthy quest." Lacking the requisite cookie molds, I set out for the Grey Goose Cookery shop in Olde Mystic Village - they would surely sell the molds.
It must have been some time since I was last in the Village (at least a year, maybe two) because the Grey Goose had expanded to two shops (one for parties), with the cookery portion occupying the site of the Weathervane clothing shop (when the Village first opened - that dates me, doesn't it?) The shop reminded me of the flagship REI store in Seattle: deliberately a rabbit warren so I would have to ask for help. Alas, no Springerle molds to be found, "There were some here last week" -- and, of course, "There'll be more in with the next stock delivery."
I breathed a sigh of relief - no need to exert my cooking prowess! But as I left the Grey Goose, I noticed a Scandinavian Shop. Entering, I spotted a man looking at a bottle of glogg - now THAT was just what I REALLY needed! And in the refigeration case nearby I spotted a selection of herring. So, in the evening , we enjoyed herring and glogg -- not the pairing that my Swedish friends would make, but Jack and I just enjoyed the unexpected feast!
Then today, Sunday, I opened the New York Times - and there was a recipe for glogg! And this evening I had a message from Ulla in Gothenburg who was hosting a glogg party for her family!
And if you are still following links, try this one. It is an account of the recent piggy-bank crisis that had me in stitches (even before I sampled the herring and glogg)

No comments:
Post a Comment