I have "reverted" to two of my former pastimes.
I've taken up drawing again as part of my personal quest to slow down and reach a state of "wonder" (drawing sounds more fun than engaging in the Socratic questioning that is recommended by philosophers). I've started with trees -- I'd wanted to draw them last spring but somehow I never had time to get out my sketchbook. No pictures - yet -- the task is far more challenging than I had anticipated. I roamed the Point with my camera and found a couple of interesting-looking trees ( the first step according to an online tutorial by Mark Sibley.) But my output was pathetic, and even when I asked, "How would Matisse draw a tree?" (because my drawing instructor last spring said my style was similar) and found one image online, my effort was not much better. So, back to another tutorial, this time by Diane Wright, and the realization that I needed to understand tree "structure" and spend time drawing roots, and bark and branches. Maybe I need to engage in Socratic questioning with a tree! Out again, camera in hand, and back to the sketchbook. But the result was still not worthy of posting. Maybe tomorrow.
My other "pastime' - more of a practice -- is that I have been cleaning my hard-drive with a vengeance. My digital wastebasket has been overflowing, and folders are clearly labeled and nicely nested. I feel very virtuous!
I don't know how long either activity will continue, but it's good while they last!
No comments:
Post a Comment